Our Hydrogen Retrofit Project [H2R]
We are developing a conversion kit: hydrogen-fuelled retrofit “H2R” for power plants based on natural gas. The H2R system can convert any gas turbine based power plant to zero carbon emission system. That will eliminate greenhouse gases from existing power plants. This is a proprietary and unique technology. Globally we are first movers in this exciting new decarbonising innovation.
Fits to any gas power plant
Eliminates CO2 at the source
100% hydrogen energy
Power plants emissions in Europe
Coal, oil and natural gas burning power plants in Europe produce ~4200 MT CO2/year. Despite the implementation of Renewable Energy Systems for the last 30 years, greenhouse gas emissions had been reduced only by ~ 20%. Furthermore, due to the climate conditions, Europe is reaching the limits of renewable energy possibilities, without expensive offshore installations. Increasing global warming demands finding an alternative solution.
large gas turbine power plants in Europe
MT CO2 emissions from gas turbines in Europe per year
euro/T carbon taxes on average in Europe
Potential of decarbonisation with H2R
Considering gas turbines only in the European countries with green/blue hydrogen production and distribution networks, we see a big decarbonisation potential of our H2R System.
Expected CO2 reduction
MT CO2 per year (base load power plants)
MT CO2 per year (balancing power plants)
of CO2 currently produced by gas power plants in hydrogen enabled countries
Who can benefit from this project
Power Plants Owners
You can convert your power plant using our H2R system to eliminate CO2 at the source.
It can be installed within the normal overhaul period.
H2R can be installed only on gas power plants in the countries which are currently implementing green or blue hydrogen production.
Expected benefits for the power plant owners:
- Eliminating Carbon taxes
- Recoup the investment in 2 – 3 years
- The system lifespan of between 9 – 12 years
- No loss of revenues due to overhaul
According to the Paris Climate Agreement, Europe has committed to reach carbon neutrality by 2050.
Deployment of the H2R on the gas power plants can reduce the current CO2 produced by larger European gas fuelled power plants by 30%.
Wider spreading of hydrogen based systems will lead to a cleaner environment for all.
Expected benefits for the environment:
- Reduction of CO2 from gas turbines by 30%
- Boost of the clean energy economy
- More accessible clean energy
- Decarbonisation of other sectors with hydrogen
Watch the video about our zero carbon project
Project Development Phases
2019 - 2020
- Burner Layout
- Feasibility study at the University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland (FHNW)
- Approval for engineering
2020 - 2021
Research and development
- Concept engineering
- Technology Research & Development
- Rig Test at the FHNW
- Preliminary agreements on partnering and licensing
2021 - 2022
- Finalise partnership for sales and licensing agreements
- Final engineering of pilot burners
- Agreement on demonstration site
- Delivery of pilot site hardware
2022 - 2023
- Test runs at the pilot site
- Fine-tuning of the combustion system
- Final engineering modifications
- Reliability run (72 hours continuous)
- Generation of production burners and final production sets
- First customer site engineering
- System construction on-site
- Full speed no-load tests
- Full load tests and guarantee data
- Deliver first engine Retrofit H2R
Who we are
Crosstown Power delivers services in Industrial Manufacturing, Environmental Improvement, and Technology Innovation sectors since 2002. Our company is a team of professionals with many years of experience and deep knowledge needed for this innovative hydrogen project:
- The team previously developed a 40% hydrogen combustion system which operated for over 15 years at the API Power Plant in Falconara, IT.
- Members of the team have recently successfully demonstrated hydrogen burners with over 75% H2 content.
- The team has launched many high-tech products in the past.
Business Management, Business Development, Whole GT & Turbine Expert
OEM: ABB, Alstom, Rolls Royce | 40 years experience
B2B: Crosstown Power GmbH
Technical Engineering, R&D
OEM: ABB, Alstom, GE | 35 years experience in Gas Turbine Engineering, Compressors Expert
B2B: KEnSO GmbH
Extensive experience in HR contracts in Power Sector
Experienced in establishing new companies
Former Chairwoman & Member of the Swiss Women`s Business Association
Principal Solicitor, Consortium Legal | GB, USA, Romania
Extensive legal experience in Power Sector
Renewable & Fossil plants legal arrangements
Contracts for PPA`s, Fuel Purchase agreements
GT Combustion Specialist
OEM: BBC ABB, Alstom | 45 years experience
Head of Combustion: over 25 years
Combustion Expert: Oil, Natural Gas, Hydrogen
Finance, Control, M&A and Fundraising in Energy, Telecoms & Manufacturing
Financials & Investors Expert at Crosstown Power since 2006
CEO Geminise AG, CH
Established own business in 2018
Formerly with Alstom & GE
Project Management and Client Contact
Currently working on Business Modelling for H2R
CEO of Engineering company in DE
ABB & Alstom Steam & Plant business
Head of Engineering at MAN Steam Turbines
45 years of experience in Engineering Design
Get detailed information
Find out more about our hydrogen project and all the benefits of power plants decarbonisation.